When I lived back in the Finger Lakes area of New York State, I had to wait until June for nice tasty strawberry shortcakes. Many of you who live in northern climes will also have to wait for these treats. However, here in Florida we will be way ahead of you. We get these delicious desserts in the winter while y'all are still shoveling that white stuff off your sidewalks.
In Plant City, Florida we have the yearly Strawberry Festival which will take place this year from March 1st to the 11th. This year will be the 77th Anniversary of this event. It is no small-town get-together. We are talking of about a major undertaking here, with numerous activities, top-notch entertainment, displays, thrill rides, food delights, etc for all to enjoy. Some of these include:
- Free entertainment like: Dennis Lee, Jay Taylor Band, Ron Diamond, The Gothard Sisters, the Kandu Magic Show and others.
- Star Headliners like: The Oakridge Boys, Crystal Gayle, The Gatlin Brothers, Air Supply, Hank Williams, Jr., and other well-known performers. Visit the festival's site link below for schedules and prices for the headline concerts.
- The Neighborhood Village which is dedicated to displaying the handicrafts and homemade items from our local craftsmen and women. Baking, cake decorating, food preservation, jewelry & beading, knitting, needlepoint, home decorations, etc.
- There is also a Kiddie Corral for the younger crowd. It includes: Kiddie Rides, Shoebox Float Contest, a Baby Parade, Kid Shows, Racing Pigs, a Baby Contest, and more.
- A great Midway full of attractions to delight you.
And a lot more.
Add to this the wonderful food that will be available like the mandatory Strawberry Shortcake, and you have many opportunities to enjoy yourself at this year's Strawberry Festival. With our excellent weather here in February, what better way is there to spend a day or evening.
Check under the ABOUT US menu item at the top lefthand side of the home page for special price days for kids, seniors, and others. You will also find information about directions, location, and contact numbers. They even have a map to help you find the festival easily. If you have questions, you can call the festival office at: 813-752-9194
For more information about the festival, visit its homepage by clicking on the following link: 77th Strawberry Festival
Have a Great Time!!
Posted by John Elwell - REALTOR at CENTURY 21 Bill Nye Realty, Inc., Zephyrhills, Florida Tel. 813-783-4444.
Licensed in Florida.
Photo Courtesy of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)